The West Dulwich Forum
Share your thoughts about Dulwich and West Dulwich, SE21

Moving to West Dulwich - Clive Road
Posted by: jules1y 29 May, 2014 15:09

I was hoping to get some recommendations on where to love in West Dulwich....

My husband and I are thinking of moving to West Dulwich from Brixton. We are having a baby so want to live in a safe street. We love West Dulwich - particularly Park Hall Road Shops and The Rosendale. Could anyone feedback on whether Clive Road is safe, and recommend what streets we whould consider for a house? I read an old post about armed robberies in Clive Road from 2008 - have things changed a lot since then? Something that puts us off is the Berry Lane estate....?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Re: Moving to West Dulwich - Clive Road
Posted by: balanceforlife 29 May, 2014 18:03

I was also worried about the "Berry Lane estate" when I moved here about 2 years ago but it's fine. I think I just scared myself by reading an old news report. We live right around the corner from it and nothing ever happens. It's nice. Clive Road is really nice and Rosendale Road too up at this end. Park Hall Road is perfect walking distance to the restaurants and shops but generally it's lovely around here and the people are nice.

Take a walk along at the weekend and you'll see lots of people out tending to their gardens and lots of house improvements taking place. If we moved to a bigger house we'd be more than happy to consider Clive Road and the immediate area.

AJ :)

Posted by: jules1y 29 May, 2014 22:12

Thanks for all your help! It sounds promising. Would you say it's safe walking home at night from the station? Can anyone who lives on Clive Road advise whether there is a good neighbourly spirit on the street, or do people tend to keep themselves to themselves. Are there any areas of West Norwood that you could recommend to live in?

Posted by: ian1984 30 May, 2014 11:58

I prefer West Dulwich to West Norwood - always found it felt same myself.

Posted by: fullofbeans 02 June, 2014 12:16

We moved to the Berry lane end of Clive Road 2 years ago and love it. Neighbours, nurseries, schools, shops - all brilliant. Never any problems walking around - although you do need to look out for dog poo ;-). Because it's all quite built up the traffic noise is sometimes quite noticeable but the council have been great and recently resurfaced the road and have been receptive to complaints about the lack of speed signs (it's a 20mph zone but you would never know). Highly recommend this area.

Posted by: Katharine@Wigwam 03 June, 2014 10:30

West Dulwich is a great area! I've lived here with my family for over 15 years. Great shops, nurseries, schools etc. My sister lives on Clive Road and loves it. She has a toddler and commutes from the station. She has lots of friends on her street, who's she met, so it sounds like everyone is very friendly. Best of luck with your move!

Posted by: Nicobella 08 August, 2014 12:54

I have lived in West Dulwich (Croxted Road) for 4 years and always found it to be really safe and friendly - you will love it here!

Posted by: Apple314 12 October, 2014 20:22

Tulsemere Road, Towton, Hexham and Lavengro are fab because technically they're in West Norwood so cheaper than Dulwich but because they're right on the border, you get more of the Dulwich vibe. Great transport links, close to lovely parks, very safe and family friendly. We have loads of community events, street parties etc etc. You would love it!

Posted by: lucygp 31 October, 2014 11:09

the council have been great

Posted by: TWELLZE10 23 November, 2014 00:01

I did the same before i moved on to clive road, read about all the muggings etc. We have lived about half way down near martel rd for 3 years now with our 4 year old daughter and its lovely. Like nearly all places in london you just have to be street wise walking home from station at night. The people are lovely and we have got to know most of our neighbours, regular trips to the rosendale pub! Dulwich village is so close to. We have tried to move out of london a few times but find that this area is a tough act to follow! I love the people on clive road!

Posted by: yinglin001 18 March, 2015 03:03

it is good places ,you will enjoy there

Posted by: kirstysimone 19 March, 2015 22:36

I live in West Dulwich, its lovely. I love it and i also have a young daughter.

However please do not estimate West Norwood. Its a great area. It has its own quirks, and has a lovely community feel. Lot of mums at play groups (there are lots in West Norwood) are all really nice. There are an increasing amount of coffee shops and pubs in the area, and also a very good school. Julians.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
                                Terms of use               RSS rss feed                Help & FAQs               Website Design