The West Dulwich Forum
Share your thoughts about Dulwich and West Dulwich, SE21

state schools
Posted by: n 19 September, 2014 13:17

Hello
Our child starts school next September 2015. We live in Tulsemere Rd. We are very interested to see where other children have got into school in this area. Also where others are applying. When we look up the website for the schools in the catchment area it states we are not in one (black hole)! We are going to apply to Elmwood, St Julian's, Kingswood, Rosendale. We know it all depends on size of year, nearest first, siblings etc. However do you think there is any chance of us getting into one of these and any other good state schools in the area we don't know about? Thank you kindly.

Re: state schools
Posted by: NI 22 September, 2014 20:35

n Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello
> Our child starts school next September 2015. We
> live in Tulsemere Rd. We are very interested to
> see where other children have got into school in
> this area. Also where others are applying. When we
> look up the website for the schools in the
> catchment area it states we are not in one (black
> hole)! We are going to apply to Elmwood, St
> Julian's, Kingswood, Rosendale. We know it all
> depends on size of year, nearest first, siblings
> etc. However do you think there is any chance of
> us getting into one of these and any other good
> state schools in the area we don't know about?
> Thank you kindly.

Posted by: south 23 September, 2014 16:31

Hi N
there are no such thing as catchment areas anymore just admissions criteria. Most schools (apart from faith schools) have fairly straight forward criteria giving preference to siblings and then offering places based on distance from the school. The schools you are interested in should be able to give you an idea of the distance cut off point in the past few years. Local authorities usually publish booklets listing all their schools and how to apply. Remember you can apply to schools in any borough not just the one you live in although this may only be of interest if you are very close to the boundary between two local authorities. In addition to the schools you have listed you may wish to look at Fenstanton primary - it is part of the same federation as Elmwood and Kingswood.
I have no personal experience of any of these schools but I recommend visiting any you are considering at least once.
S

Posted by: EDZ 02 October, 2014 09:30

We applied to Elmwood and Rosendale two years ago. We live on Eastmearn closer to Rosendale end. We got a school that was 1.5 miles away and in special measure. We were 9th on the waiting list for Elwood and 45th for Rosendale. In July we were offered a late place at Elmwood, but by then we had decided to pay for independent school. I know another person on Tulsemere in the same year who didn't get an offer at Elmwood at all. I think the school has expanded so you might get a place now.

Posted by: MonkeySee 06 October, 2014 13:04

Julians is now three forms across the two campuses and is moving to be 5 forms. If this is happening for next september you should have a good chance of getting in, although because the 3 of those forms will be in the streatham site you may be allocated a spot there even though it is the further of the two sites.

Posted by: Katharine@Wigwam 08 October, 2014 14:56

It is such a lottery! And it always depends on how many siblings apply, as they get priority over distance.

I can tell you that Elm Wood are only suggesting you look at the school for next years intake if you live before the Rosendale pub, as they say that it is rare for people to get in if they live beyond that point. But, as ever, it changes from year to year. One year they had 36 siblings apply, which leaves little room for anyone else. Elm Wood is the smallest school out of all the others with only two class intake.

I would say you have a good chance of getting into Julians, as I know people who have got in there where you live.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Posted by: Apple314 11 October, 2014 19:19

I also live on Tulsemere Road. I applied for Elm Wood, Rosendale and Julians etc but was offered Fenstanton (for 2012). I know several people who were also offered Fenstanton and, like me, decided to go private instead. However, last year a couple of people on our road got offered a place at Julians' Streatham site, so you may be in luck. It might be worth taking a tour of some of the excellent independent schools around here and securing a place just in case. I know this is a big financial commitment but I think it's worth every penny.

Posted by: lucygp 31 October, 2014 11:11

good luck

Posted by: Penelope 25 November, 2014 09:59

Hello, I'm interested in why you chose to go private over Fenstanton? I've visited Fenstanton and it seems to be a very good school which will probably get an outstanding Ofsted. My worry is that it's a bit big and corporatey - but because it's part of the Gipsy Hill Federation, which is run that way - therefore the same way as Elmwood. What am I missing?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
                                Terms of use               RSS rss feed                Help & FAQs               Website Design