The West Dulwich Forum
Share your thoughts about Dulwich and West Dulwich, SE21

Overtaking/speeding in South Croxted Road
Posted by: Nozzle 21 October, 2014 17:48

Not a new subject I know, and I have known about it and witnessed it many times (been here since '95), but after many recent events I have reached the (probably nave state of mind) where I am determined to at least try and do something about it...its only a matter of time etc, etc..we all know how that sentence finishes.

Anyone out there ? Anyone know who to start barracking ? I'm not starting with contacting the police blind, or having a meaningless conversation with a political hopeful either..

I will start and intend to continue for quite a while-but anyone got some clues to help the latest attemptee ?

Re: Overtaking/speeding in South Croxted Road
Posted by: LadyNorwood 21 October, 2014 20:04

Did you get involved with the South Croxted Road Residents' Association when we were trying to resolve this issue? Please PM me if you'd like to resurrect this - we tried hard to come up with a sensible solution but hit the buffers with the police, TfL, Lambeth/Southwark councils.... We were caught between so many boundaries that we were bounced about and no one single body was prepared to really grasp the horns and tackle this head on - I was told by one very officious man at Southwark Council transport department that the speed limit was 40mph - I made him read out the Highway Code before he admitted it was 30mph....

Posted by: dohchos 24 October, 2014 06:36

I would love to get involved and help in any way I can, I live on the street and its crazy in which the speed and aggression in which drivers drive up and down.

Posted by: LadyNorwood 31 October, 2014 06:27

Have just found a draft document from Southwark Council showing a proposed 20mph limit on SCR - hope this link works - the 'smiley camera' is set at 20mph (located near the zebra crossing) but not many road users seem to adhere to it....

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:DUr7ZbO7SgEJ:www.southwark.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/9989/introduction_of_borough-wide_20_mph_speed_limit_-_public_notice_dated_27_february_2014+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Posted by: RedRage 29 April, 2015 15:41

Hello,
I've just moved to the area and cycle down this road every day. Most drivers are sensible and stay behind me, but there are some hogs who are ignorant of the Highway Code and careless about human lives who are making me feel very unsafe, overtaking me dangerously - far too close and over the speed limit. I do my best to cycle as far out as I can to deter them, but this seems to enrage some drivers into driving even more aggressively. If I cycle too closely to parked cars, I risk being doored, and if I (quite legally) cycle further out into the primary position, I risk people passing me with a hair's breadth or also risk oncoming speeding overtaking motorcyclists colliding with me. It is a very unpleasant and dangerous road to use. Is there any point in complaining to the council about this? Is the speed limit ever enforced?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/04/2015 15:46 by RedRage.

Posted by: LadyNorwood 29 April, 2015 16:16

If it were me, I would use Alleyn Road (I think it's a designated cycle path, but don't quote me on it) to cycle....

The amount and speed of traffic on SCR has got worse, we've campaigned for years to get safety measures in place; we're caught between two boroughs (Lambeth & Southwark), various police wards and also TfL - the buses are often the worst offenders for speeding.... The speed limit is 20mph (although I'm not sure if that's enforceable), reduced from 30mph, although I've often seen cars and motorbikes doing well over 40mph (there's one motorbike which goes past at 4.30pm every weekday doing, I would say, 50mph, sometimes doing a wheelie as well) - the smiley face indicator seems to encourage people to speed rather than act as a deterrent...

Posted by: RedRage 29 April, 2015 17:22

Thank you for the reply, Lady Norwood. I would assiduously avoid the road if it were possible, but unfortunately I live halfway up it. I suppose I shall have to find a way to get used to it, as it's raising my blood pressure. I was advised to ride on the pavement by a more reckless and inconsiderate friend, but have no wish to diminish London cyclists' already tattered reputation.

Posted by: LadyNorwood 29 April, 2015 18:02

You can get to Alleyn Road via Church Approach.... I've been knocked down by cyclists on the pavement before now and was yelled and spat at by a cycling resident of SCR for daring to walk on the pavement when he was hurtling past!!

Posted by: RedRage 29 April, 2015 18:17

I assure you I have no intention of riding on the pavement along SCR. I've just checked the map and will try your suggestion tomorrow morning. I also live far enough up SCR to just go up to the junction with Alleyn Road, so will go with that route the next day and see which works best. Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/04/2015 18:18 by RedRage.

Posted by: LadyNorwood 29 April, 2015 19:51

Hope you find it a suitable alternative route! Mind you, nothing will scare me quite as much as the motorbike that shot past me on the pavement one day!!

Posted by: chastelaine 15 June, 2015 14:57

Sadly we have seen a significant rise in dangerous driving over the past few years, not just on South Croxted but also on Alleyn Road. The insane lowering of the speed humps a few years ago has made Alleyn Road one of the most dangerous routes in the area, where drivers feel able to drive at very high speeds. There is no sanction and Southwark said they would not take action unless there was proof of danger (ie a serious accident). Really unhappy with the situation.

Posted by: dohchos 15 June, 2015 19:25

It's crazy how fast some people drive, a few Sundays ago there were actually cars racing down the street.

Posted by: RedRage 15 June, 2015 20:08

chastelaine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sadly we have seen a significant rise in dangerous
> driving over the past few years, not just on South
> Croxted but also on Alleyn Road. The insane
> lowering of the speed humps a few years ago has
> made Alleyn Road one of the most dangerous routes
> in the area, where drivers feel able to drive at
> very high speeds. There is no sanction and
> Southwark said they would not take action unless
> there was proof of danger (ie a serious accident).
> Really unhappy with the situation.
were you the gentleman who I passed this afternoon on Alleyn Road? You seemed a bit cross with the driver in front of me who certainly going a bit too fast.
I had an altercation a couple of weeks agon with a man in a BMW who did the usual 'I pay road tax' nonsense, and today I witnessed a man yelling obscenities at some schoolchildren who he'd nearly knocked over. :(

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
                                Terms of use               RSS rss feed                Help & FAQs               Website Design