The West Dulwich Forum
Share your thoughts about Dulwich and West Dulwich, SE21

West Dulwich Book Club
Posted by: Ellem86 02 January, 2015 11:11

Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about starting a book club as a way of getting to know other people in the area. We would meet once every 4-6 weeks and take turns to pick a book and host the book club. Would any of you be interested?

Eleanor

Re: West Dulwich Book Club
Posted by: Twinkiefreud 07 January, 2015 14:57

Hi Eleanor - I would be interested in joining a Book Club - let me know how you get on. Eleanor

Posted by: sladden freud 25 January, 2015 11:11

Hi - I think Dulwich Books hosts a Book Club. Not suggesting you shouldn't start one of your own (my street have set up their own club) but if you get no/few takers probably worth calling in to the bookshop.

David.

Posted by: BSVT 26 May, 2015 11:23

Did you get anywhere with this? I would be interested....
Bev

Posted by: Ellem86 28 May, 2015 20:57

Hi Bev, I didn't actually so so far there's two of us!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/05/2015 20:59 by Ellem86.

Posted by: BSVT 29 May, 2015 08:56

How about you try and find 1 more person, and I'll do the same. And if we manage to get 4 of us we could kick it off?
I could put a little note in Volcano....
Bev

Posted by: FionaC 03 June, 2015 14:31

I would be interested in this.
Fiona

Posted by: Twinkiefreud 03 June, 2015 14:34

Hi All - I have a friend who is also interested which would make the numbers up. EleanorF

Posted by: Ellem86 03 June, 2015 15:48

Brilliant! I think we have enough people to kick this off. Are you all on Facebook? If so, I could create a private group on Facebook for us to join, use to pick books and arrange meetings. We could also add new people to the group. What do you think?

Posted by: Twinkiefreud 03 June, 2015 15:59

Sounds good to me!

Posted by: Ellem86 03 June, 2015 17:18

I have gone ahead and created a closed Facebook group. Just search for "West Dulwich Book Group" and send a request to join, which I will then approve. If you are not on Facebook, send me a private message on this forum and I will make sure that you are kept in the loop :)

Eleanor

Posted by: Twinkiefreud 03 June, 2015 17:35

Hi Eleanor - I have just searched for West Dulwich Book Group and drew a blank. Any thoughts? Eleanorf

Posted by: Ellem86 03 June, 2015 17:52

That's strange! The group settings allow everyone to find the group by searching (but you have to request to join). I have just logged out of Facebook and back in again so hopefully it will now work but let me know if it doesn't.

Posted by: Twinkiefreud 03 June, 2015 18:08

Hi Eleanor - am out now but will try later and let you know. Eleanorf

Posted by: FionaC 03 June, 2015 20:51

Hi Eleanor,
I couldn't find it on Facebook either.
Fiona

Posted by: Ellem86 04 June, 2015 09:02

Apparently it can sometimes take a while for a group to start showing up in search results. Here is a link to the group you can use: https://www.facebook.com/groups/westdulwichbookgroup

If that doesn't work, just send me a private message with your email and I'll add you.

Eleanor

Posted by: Ellem86 09 July, 2015 20:58

Hi everyone and thanks to Beverley and Fiona who made it to the first ever West Dulwich Book Group! Our numbers were diminished due to the tube strike but it was a great start. The book for today's meeting was We Are All Completely Besides Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler and I'm glad to say that we all liked it! The average scores (out of 10) were: 7.3 for Food, 8.3 for Service and 7.2 for Ambience. We also unanimously agreed that we would recommend the book to other people!

During the meeting today we agreed a few things about how future book club meetings will work:

1. Restaurants are sometimes rated according to Food, Service and Ambience and, to make things more fun, that's how we're going to rate the books. Food is the storyline, Service is the delivery/writing style and Ambience is the general feel of the book.

2. 7pm seems to be a bit tight for everyone to get back home after work so we'll be starting group meetings at 7.30.

3. The pub ended up being a little too noisy so we are going to take it in turns to host the book club in our homes. If the host's home is unavailable for whatever reason the pub will be the backup venue. If the group gets too big we can look into hiring a room at The Tulse Hill Hotel.

4. We will all take it in turns to host and the host gets to pick the book. Any book is fine except non-fiction and books which are overly long!

Fiona has picked the book for our next meeting which will take place on Thursday 3 September. The book is My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante.

Join the West Dulwich Book Group on Facebook for more information or send me a private message.

Happy reading!

Posted by: tracey 04 October, 2015 21:28

Hello

I would be very interested in joining if possible

best wishes

Tracey

Posted by: BSVT 04 October, 2015 21:44

Hi Tracey, you would be very welcome! We are meeting next this Thursday, if you can speed read then the book is The House in Paris by Elizabeth Bowen. Even if you haven't read it then very welcome to come along. This time we are meeting at my house and the details are on the Facebook group. Eleanor has the admin on the fb group and will help if ypu can't find it, just let us know.
Hopefully see you Thursday.
Bev

Posted by: Ellem86 18 November, 2015 14:37

Our next meeting will take place at 7.30pm next week Thursday 26 November. We will be discussing Ragtime by E L Doctorow.

To join our book group and get more details, please request to join our Facebook group via the link below. New members are always welcome! https://www.facebook.com/groups/westdulwichbookgroup

Eleanor x

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
                                Terms of use               RSS rss feed                Help & FAQs               Website Design