The West Dulwich Forum
Share your thoughts about Dulwich and West Dulwich, SE21

Extension of 315 Bus Route
Posted by: FionaC 03 June, 2015 14:30

There is a proposal currently in place to extend the 315 bus route to the Peabody Estate via Robson Road; Park Hall Road; Croxted Road; Thurlow Park Road; Birkbeck Hill and Thurlow Hill. There will be 4 buses an hour from 6am to 12 midnight, 7 days a week.

Tenders have already gone out to bus companies. There is due to be a public consultation starting in the next two/three weeks.

For updates please see our website http://birkbeck-triangle.co.uk. Please feel free to add your comments.

Re: Extension of 315 Bus Route
Posted by: Neighbour_Ed 03 June, 2015 15:52

Thanks Fiona.

You're being admirably calm about this this. Well done! But just to let everyone know that these plans are very well advanced and this major bus re-routing is very likely to happen.

It's all been sprung on our local community recently as a lovely surprise. (Special thanks to Max n Anna our fantastic local councillors for this. What they've been up to is jaw-droppingly awful. And Max; it's not just the middle class property owners who think so).

This is going to have a major impact on hundreds of lives. 4 buses an hour multiplied both ways = one bus every 8 minutes going up narrow residential streets right past front windows. Noise, pollution plus all the additional congestion / road rage etc.

And here's the thing: The people it's supposed to benefit - the residents on Peabody Hill Estate - don't even want it! But Max and Anna know what's best for them so it looks like it's a done deal.

It's basically a disaster.

Posted by: parkhall5 03 June, 2015 16:41

This is pretty shocking news completely out of the blue.
In addition to the pollution, traffic etc which Neighbour_Ed and FionaC rightly point out, , I fail to see how even the best bus driver will be able to safely turn left from Park Hall Road onto Croxted Road without wiping out the pavement, traffic lights and a fair few pedestrians.

I wonder if our local councillors in Gipsy Hill ward will be more helpful?

If you are concerned about this and would like to do something, perhaps you would like to contact them?
Cllr Jennifer Brathwaite: jbrathwaite@lambeth.gov.uk
Cllr Matthew Bennett: mpbennett@lambeth.gov.uk
Cllr Niranjan Francis: nrfrancis@lambeth.gov.uk

Posted by: FionaC 03 June, 2015 20:01

Just didn't want my first post to sound like a rant! I'm very upset about this! Apart from the disruption in terms of noise, pollution and lack of parking, this bus route solves none of the problems identified by Peabody Estate residents: access to schools; doctors; shops and hospital.

As far as I am concerned we need the help of as many local residents as possible to persuade TFL that this is a bad idea.

Posted by: Caroant 04 June, 2015 08:07

I live on the proposed route of this bus. If it goes ahead we will have 140 bus journeys past our window each day (we live on the corner of both roads so will get them each way from 6am to midnight daily).
Not only are we concerned and upset from a personal level, as this will make a serious change to our lovely quiet street, it's safety etc, but what is incredibly baffling is that it's a bus that no one seems to want, yet TfL and lambeth Council are proceeding regardless of residents feelings and the fact many of the buses will be empty.
If anyone has any advice or wants to support our appeal to get this overturned pls get in touch. Surely sense will eventually prevail?

Posted by: Emmf 04 June, 2015 08:24

In an email sent to me, TFL seem to think that they would not have a problem lifting the current ban on buses going along Park Hall however I have also been in touch with Lambeth Council who says that the traffic order currently in place on Park Hall was implemented for safety reasons and that it would be difficult for this to be lifted.

Are any of these organisations talking to each other or indeed listening to the local community who will be detrimentally affected by this bus extension?

This proposal has come in because a small group of people living in Peabody Hill estate in Thurlow Park Ward need easy access to local shops. There are many different solutions that could be looked at to meet this need including small private community buses that would actually take people to where they need to go. To date, there has been no evidence than any such solutions have been considered. TFL and Lambeth Council are blindly going ahead to push through an extension to the 315 bus route that will have detrimental impact on 100's of people in West Dulwich and which will not even take Peabody residents to the local amenities they need to reach.

Posted by: Ellem86 04 June, 2015 10:09

This is the first I'm hearing about this, perhaps I haven't received any notice of the proposal because I live on Thurlow Park Road which is already a busy road. As much I think it's a great idea for people to be well connected, the level of traffic on those small roads already poses a risk to safety, particularly around Park Hall Road/Croxted Road.

Posted by: Neighbour_Ed 04 June, 2015 16:25

The big question is why are TfL spending hard cash on this major re-routing when demand is so low? Looking at the planned route it seems unlikely that new passengers will want to get on it for the detour part - unless they want to go to West Dulwich station... but they'd be starting from near West Norwood station... There may be a few but doubt it's big numbers

Meanwhile we're hearing that actual users could be as low as 50 to 100 Peabody hill residents - who will only use it a few times a week at most. So why all the expense?

Posted by: Begonia 07 June, 2015 05:32

This is just unbelievable. Getting onto the south circular from those small roads, especially at school times etc, is already a nightmare. Throw in a bus trying to do the same every 12 minutes or so and its going to be total gridlock. What are they thinking?! Those roads can't even have two cars pass each other without one having to reverse back to a junction.

Posted by: Fatcats 08 June, 2015 09:53

It's worth posting about this on the Virtual Norwood forum as well as it also affects those in SE27. Maybe also worth flagging to Norwood Action Group? Just a suggestion.

Posted by: strinra 08 June, 2015 15:40

Agree this is a terrible idea. I found the below petition, not sure if people are already aware of this...

https://www.change.org/p/transport-for-london-lambeth-council-repeal-the-proposed-extension-of-the-315-bus-route-to-the-peabody-estate

Posted by: Begonia 10 June, 2015 12:39

https://www.change.org/p/transport-for-london-lambeth-council-repeal-the-proposed-extension-of-the-315-bus-route-to-the-peabody-estate

The petition is a great idea. Sign sign sign!

Posted by: Neighbour_Ed 12 June, 2015 15:37

It looks like TfL have decided to ignore us. Several emails have gone unanswered recently. There's a risk there might not even be a proper consultation - more at http://birkbeck-triangle.co.uk/?p=281

Posted by: parkhall5 23 June, 2015 05:14

Consultation is now open. Please spare 2 minutes to complete.
https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/buses/route-315

Posted by: pippin 13 July, 2015 19:42

Just a reminder about the petition on Change.org (It needs 41 more signatures to get to 100).

Posted by: pippin 13 July, 2015 19:57

........sorry that should have said "it needs 41 more signatures to get to 200" :-)

Posted by: gello92 14 July, 2015 12:00

Although a lot of people oppose the 315 bus extension, I for one am glad of it. All those that are complaining do not realise the benefits of this service as majority of those who are complaining are not from the Peabody estate - live in the nice big houses with the nice cars or have the mobility to cycle and walk, forgetting about how many of the elderly/those with disabilities and mobility problems actually live on the estate. The estate is at least 10 minutes from the nearest bus route which is via very steep hills which you cannot avoid, plus uneven pavement the council cannot be bothered to fix - makes it a treacherous journey to the supermarket or even any shop at all (Peabody Estate to West Norwood is more like a 20 minute walk for someone that has no problems!). They need a direct route to West Norwood as although it is close and kind of walking distance, it isn't for those who are less than mobility-able. It also relieves the P13 and 201 a little for those who need the connection to Streatham (those who go to school or work in Streatham and beyond that direction for example, and do not want to pay extra for the train). It's also nice to have a direct route to Balham, even if this bus hardly ever comes when it says it will! But I for one say yay for the bus, not for me but for those that actually NEED it!

Posted by: Penelope 14 July, 2015 14:37

I also am in favour of the new bus route - it'll be incredibly useful to those of us who don't drive everywhere. And I can't understand why any bus will have trouble turning onto the roads. It'll also connect West Dulwich to West Norwood which will be fabulous to those with small children or with mobility issues.

Posted by: Fatcats 15 July, 2015 20:54

gello92 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Although a lot of people oppose the 315 bus
> extension, I for one am glad of it. All those that
> are complaining do not realise the benefits of
> this service as majority of those who are
> complaining are not from the Peabody estate - live
> in the nice big houses with the nice cars or have
> the mobility to cycle and walk, forgetting about
> how many of the elderly/those with disabilities
> and mobility problems actually live on the estate.
> The estate is at least 10 minutes from the nearest
> bus route which is via very steep hills which you
> cannot avoid, plus uneven pavement the council
> cannot be bothered to fix - makes it a treacherous
> journey to the supermarket or even any shop at all
> (Peabody Estate to West Norwood is more like a 20
> minute walk for someone that has no problems!).
> They need a direct route to West Norwood as
> although it is close and kind of walking distance,
> it isn't for those who are less than
> mobility-able. It also relieves the P13 and 201 a
> little for those who need the connection to
> Streatham (those who go to school or work in
> Streatham and beyond that direction for example,
> and do not want to pay extra for the train). It's
> also nice to have a direct route to Balham, even
> if this bus hardly ever comes when it says it
> will! But I for one say yay for the bus, not for
> me but for those that actually NEED it!

How many people who live on the Peabody estate have mobility problems or are disabled? I haven't seen any information about this whatsoever, no facts or figures or anything that would explain the rationale behind this proposal. A lot of people that will be affected by this new route live nowhere near the Peabody estate and have no way of knowing what the real need for this bus is.

And why can't the bus go up Norwood road if people want to go to west Norwood? Why does it have to be directed via residential roads that are already congested? Also please don't make assumptions about big cars and big houses. Some of us have neither, we just already have problems with traffic and don't want the situation on our streets to be even worse.

Posted by: Begonia 07 August, 2015 07:57

I have small children and there's no way I'd use a bus to get from West Dulwich to West Norwood - would take longer waiting, getting on and off/folding up buggy etc than it is to walk! My kids are 6, 4, and 1 and I'm trying to teach them the benefits of walking. (Not the 1yr old, he's allowed in the buggy for now!)

Posted by: Neighbour_Ed 02 September, 2015 15:33

Last chance to give your opinion. It only takes a minute

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/buses/route-315 (at the bottom "Have
your say" leads you to the "survey").

Do you want a large, noisy, empty, polluting bus trundling down your streets every
7 minutes from 6am to midnight ? (Robson Rd, Park Hall Rd, Croxted Rd etc

Let them know your views

Here's the direct link to the survey
https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/buses/route-315/consultation/intro/view

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2015 15:56 by Neighbour_Ed.

Posted by: ally 12 October, 2015 23:49

Does anyone know what the consultation has shown up and/or when the decision will be made on this proposal?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
                                Terms of use               RSS rss feed                Help & FAQs               Website Design