The West Dulwich Forum
Share your thoughts about Dulwich and West Dulwich, SE21

Urgent trains deadline!
Posted by: ally 16 May, 2017 12:36

Govia Thameslink is discontinuing the direct trains from West Dulwich to London Blackfriars and beyond. Apparently, following consultation in 2012 about the Thameslink, Southern and Great Northern franchise, the Secretary of State for Transport decided that these services should be curtailed at Blackfriars and should be operated by the South Eastern franchise from January 2018.

Our best chance of keeping, or even improving, the services is to let the Secretary of State know how important they are to us. Consultation about the future of the South Eastern rail franchise after December 2018 (when the current franchise ends) started in March. The deadline for comments is 23 May 2017. The consultation paper and ways to respond are at https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/future-of-south-eastern-rail-services .

Comments about the direct services to London Blackfriars and beyond should go in boxes 20 to 24 of the online survey or you can email BetterSouthEastern@dft.gsi.gov.uk with your comments and suggestions.

Members of the Transport Committee of the Dulwich Society have been talking to South Eastern about their plans for running these services from May 2018. They have been told that plans to take over the services are being held up by inaction at the Department of Transport, who have to authorise acquisition of rolling stock and takeover of the route. They detect a lack of enthusiasm at South Eastern for the services.

The consultation paper invites us to submit comments, concerns and suggestions on all aspects of the train service from Sydenham Hill and West Dulwich stations. For example, boxes 16 and 17 are for comments about access and facilities at stations, including access and facilities for those with disabilities or additional needs. Box 32 is for any other comments about the South Eastern rail franchise.

Please tell anybody who might be interested about the consultation and encourage them to respond to it.

Re: Urgent trains deadline!
Posted by: JayMey 22 May, 2017 11:18

Thank you Ally, I have just filled our the online response to this consultation. The deadline is tomorrow (23 May) for anyone else thinking about it! Jayne

Posted by: hitherman 30 August, 2017 16:09

Surprised that there was no follow up on this here yet, as there seem to have been potentially positive developments.

The May 2018 southeastern consultation paper from this June states that the southeastern will be taking over the Beckenham Junction-Blackfriars route from Thameslink from 20 May 2018 and run it until 8 Dec 2018, with more frequent peak services (five London-bound in the am and five Beckenham Junction-bound in the pm). The doc is too big to attach here and I am having difficulty getting a link for it to put here, but just google "May 2018 Timetable Public Consultation - Southeastern" and a pdf comes up.

Granted, this service will now terminate in Blackfriars and not proceed further to Farrington etc, I still feel this is a major win for all of us wanting to retain this service. I do appreciate this was probably not due to my (and other people) sending comments on the consultation as urged by ally, but a good development nevertheless.

The consultation period for this doc has finished in start-Aug, and I hope the proposed changes do get implemented. The document however still only captures seven months of 2018 and does not mention anything about what is going to happen with this service after 8 December 2018. What I would like to understand is what can be done to ensure southeastern continues to provide this service beyond Dec 2018. Any ideas on what could be done (and when would be best time to do it)?

Posted by: ally 05 September, 2017 21:54

Thank you Hitherman for raising this. I too am pleased that the outcome seems to be an increase in the West Dulwich -
Blackfriars service, not its withdrawal as had been feared. You are right not to be complacent though about the long-term outlook, however. I know another local resident who was active in publicising the original consultation and will ask her if she has any ideas about what should be done next

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
                                Terms of use               RSS rss feed                Help & FAQs               Website Design