The West Dulwich Forum
Share your thoughts about Dulwich and West Dulwich, SE21

Local primary schools - Judith Kerr
Posted by: WestDulwichKate 15 June, 2019 19:14

For those parents beginning to think about primary school applications for 2020 I just wanted to put Judith Kerr Primary School in Herne Hill on to people's radars.

My children are currently in reception and year 2 and are thriving there.

A few years ago when we applied for our first child we were disappointed not to get a place at any of the schools very local to West Dulwich(Rosendale, Elmwood, Hitherfield, Julians etc) despite living here, and instead got a place at Judith Kerr. At the time I was a bit concerned as we hadn't even visited the school and I didn't know much about it, but I needn't have worried. It is a wonderful school, its first round of results last year were excellent and it has just received a glowing oftsed report. Most importantly, to me, it is a very nurturing school (class sizes of 25 help with this) and there is a great sense of community. The added bonus is that the school has bilingual provision (German) and so my kids have the fantastic opportunity to learn a second language.

The good thing for parents living in the West Dulwich area is that you have a chance of getting a place as 50% of the admissions (for reception) are by lottery. I think there are also a few spaces in other year groups so if anyone is interested in a place for an older child it is definitely worth contacting the school directly: admissions@jkps-cfbt.org.

Our school fair is taking place on 30th June, 12-4pm in case anyone is interested in coming along, having some fun and experiencing the school community firsthand!

Re: Local primary schools - Judith Kerr
Posted by: emmajyoga 17 June, 2019 10:05

To second Kate's message above, we were in a similar situation not able to get it to any of the local West Dulwich schools but was offered a space at Judith Kerr. My children are also in Reception and Year 2 and absolutely love it there. To begin with I had concerns as it was quite a new school but I needn't of worried and the school has gone from strength to strength.

There is unfortunately a miscommunication between the local authority and people on waiting lists so do contact the school directly if you are waiting for a reception place or you or someone you know are looking to do an in year transfer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
                                Terms of use               RSS rss feed                Help & FAQs               Website Design