The West Dulwich Forum
Share your thoughts about Dulwich and West Dulwich, SE21

You are here: Forum > The Lounge
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Your main food shop?
Posted by: downsouth 06 November, 2007 18:03

What with there being no large supermarkets in the immediate vicinity, where does everyone do their shopping?

I see a fair number of delivery vans nowadays and assume many order online.

Re: Your main food shop?
Posted by: puffling 07 November, 2007 10:27

We go to Asda in Old Kent Road for our main shop - once a fortnight. I like Asda and the prices are great. I just wish they would do home delivery but they don't do SE21. Daft thing is I saw an Asda delivery van close to Gipsy Road and they deliver to that area.

Posted by: downsouth 07 November, 2007 11:49

I normally use one of the many Sainsburys in the neighbouring areas: Sydenham (for Xmas time), Dog Kennel Hill usually, or on occassion the one in Crystal Palace. I am thinking about getting home deliveries to save on my carbon foot print but still undecided as to who to opt for.

Posted by: puffling 07 November, 2007 12:47

Waitrose are the best - but definitely the most expensive!

Posted by: SoCrox 07 November, 2007 13:32

Waitrose or M&S in Beckenham or Sainsburys in Crystal Palace.

Most nights I still seem to find myself in Tescos on Croxted Road on the way home though!

Posted by: puffling 07 November, 2007 14:32

I always seem to be in Tescos Croxted Road too. Some days its such a roadblock it drives me mad !

Posted by: downsouth 07 November, 2007 14:46

Yes it has the allure to it doesn't it - like the sirens and the rocks :)

It is handy and much better than the Supa Foods that preceded it. So far it hasn't spelt the death of this particular high street. I like the fact that it opens at 7am every day and shuts at 11pm so it makes it really conveient to pick up some eggs or bread etc... In saying that the choice is severely restricted and geared towards impulse purchases - chocolates and the like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2007 15:33 by downsouth.

Posted by: puffling 07 November, 2007 15:28

They are selling Goose Fat in there at the moment!

Posted by: SoCrox 07 November, 2007 16:24

I really like the selction of things in there - it seems better than some other Tescos - but agree that sometimes the queues are dreadful!! Also, you can never guarantee that they'll have what you wnat (in fact the usually don't!) - I think it's just that it's so busy in there.

Posted by: downsouth 09 November, 2007 08:35

Puffling - I bought some Goose fat from there. It makes your potatoes really crispy!

Posted by: LadyDul 09 November, 2007 15:01

I use Abel and Cole for my fresh organic fruit and veg. They deliver so that saves me a trip to the supermarket. I also use Scotch Meats on Rosendale Road when I cooking a little something special. For everything else I normally use Somerfield in West Norwood or at a stretch Sainsburys in Crystal Palace.

Posted by: Algie 14 November, 2007 19:45

I am surprised nobody has mentioned Lidl in Sydenham yet!

Posted by: LadyDul 16 November, 2007 10:53

God forbid! What about Netto in Peckham?

Posted by: Parkhall76 16 November, 2007 12:13

Tesco Metro most days and Sainsburys in Crystal Palace which never gets too busy.

Posted by: Frankie 18 November, 2007 22:07

I often find myself in Somerfield on West Norwood High Street, whilst the high street is pretty grotty it is handy for getting jobs done - post office, woolies, keys cut, shoes repaired etc - and I am really keen to see what happens with the proposed re-development, if it goes ahead I am sure it will take years but you can live in hope....

And Tescos of course...and Scotch meats.

I was in the deli next to Cafe Rouge the other day to check out the 'cafe' and was reminded that they have some really nice stuff and I should go there more often (but it's very easy to make do with what tesco has to offer).

Posted by: SoCrox 19 November, 2007 10:17

I think it's a real shame that the Deli isn't open on a Sunday

Posted by: Maise 19 November, 2007 20:43

Yes, that is a shame, but Beamish and McGlue have started to open sundays and it's only just ten minutes away at the end of Lancaster Avenue.

Posted by: downsouth 21 November, 2007 11:04

I've been to Beamish and McGlue once since its incarnation as a health shop. I bought some yoghurt but haven't been back. It was ok but I tend to forget it is there en route to B&Q.

Posted by: wdgal 27 November, 2007 22:27

LadyDul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use Abel and Cole for my fresh organic fruit and
> veg. They deliver so that saves me a trip to the
> supermarket. I also use Scotch Meats on Rosendale
> Road when I cooking a little something special.
> For everything else I normally use Somerfield in
> West Norwood or at a stretch Sainsburys in Crystal
> Palace.

Lady Dul I must walk past you every other day as you visit the same shops as me! I also use Tesco online every few weeks for bulkier items and store cupboard stuff.

Posted by: wdgal 27 November, 2007 22:36

forgot to add, I think the Tesco on Croxted Rd is nigh on useless - always a Q, poor selection half of which is organic high-value produce....what about some normal, basic items?, most fruit and veg pre-packed, half of the aisles dedicated to confectionary, newspapers/magazines and alcohol. Now I know it is meant to be a small, pop-in, convenience store and for emergencies that's fine but I avoid it if possible. Example today....wanted basic olive oil - all they had to offer was lemon or garlic-infused extra virgin olive oil....aargh!

Posted by: LadyDul 27 November, 2007 23:01

So that was you :) Yes I agree about tesco. Today i wanted their standard sanwich ham in the region of 1.80 did they have it? No, only ehir 2.20 premium range. It is a real rip off. It is no convenience as I see it but more a way of taking your money. As said before I now go to Somerfiled or, shock horror, iceland. The walk to Norwood is actually quite therapeutic.

Posted by: Hooray 28 November, 2007 16:21

I agree! I don't want Heinz organic beans, I want bog-standard beans! I don't want kiddies' bite-size apples, I want large green possibly Golden Delicious apples! I want non-concentrated juice on a weekend! I could just go to Sainsbury's Local in Herne Hill or Brixton but feel like moaning anyway...

Posted by: wdgal 28 November, 2007 21:38

Glad we are getting 'bad Tesco vibes' off our chests then ;)

Today I was after malt vinegar, the clear kind (to clean my windows with!), all they had was the balsamic variety....

Posted by: SoCrox 29 November, 2007 08:29

oh dear, perhaps I shouldn't admit this, but I rather like the range that Tesco stocks! generally I find the range of more upmarket items a bit more uplifting than the usual dreary convenience store stuff. Only gripe is that it's often out of stock of a lot of things but then I guess that's the problem (as are the horrendous queues) of a small local store serving a fairly large community that's really looking for a more substantial shop/supermarket

On the queues front - to give the staff their dues, they're pretty quick at serving and the queue doesn't normally take as long as it looks like it will

Posted by: downsouth 29 November, 2007 11:25

You're right the queue is never really that bad. I've now started using Abel & Cole who seems quite good. Hopefully it will mean less visits to the supermarkets.

Posted by: woofmarkthedog 13 January, 2009 18:57

We are so well served for food in this area...here goes in Lordship lane.. Fish at Moxons,meat at Roses the butcher, ring first & make a small order to collect/avoid the queue & cheaper than scotch meats and the ham is very good. Veg in Pretty's in upland rd, local,seasonal and plenty of organic. wood fired oven baked bread in e.dulwich deli avoid everything else in there tooo pricey, S&M in L.ship lane for chutneys and organic exotic/healthy food inc fresh herbs abrupt but good service.Fresh flowers in Martins at the crossing by the goose green end roundabout, Mediterranean shop opposite-ish E.dulwich deli, flat breads , parsley, odd stuff usually required in a "Moro cook book" recipe...Sumac anybody? Cheese, upland rd market saturday ,a guy brings cheese from small producers in Wales..sells at a small table.excellent Wine at Green&Blue. Bacon the most delicious lightly salted at the organic meat van in upland rd market Fri/Sat. Prawns all sizes can't beat the chinese supermarket at Camberwell green also fish & razorclams 7 days a week very fresh. Oysters, French in a wooden box, if you know the ones you will know what I mean"Wing Yip supermarket"purley way 24 for around 8-10....erm that should do for now..though like a moth to a lamp...I too drift/wander round Tesco in Croxted rd.....Odddlly enjoyable though..Woof

Posted by: Local 16 January, 2009 09:37

like a moth to a lamp...I too drift/wander round Tesco in Croxted rd.....Odddlly enjoyable though.

Always happy to welcome you to the West Dulwich shopping experience, Woof.

Posted by: woofmarkthedog 16 January, 2009 10:59

Grrrrrrrr woof ...I love to bite the local....z...

Grrr wooff snrlllll ..... back boy...back.....

Posted by: BadPuppy 16 January, 2009 15:08

I ventured into Peckham the other day to see if it has changed and came scampering back to West Dulwich with my tail between my legs.

It is ruddy awful down there [edited to remove offensive comments].

Surely teh council can do something about the place as it is bringing the whole of the borough down with it.

Back to waitrose in Beckenham for me and be damned with the carbon footprint as sometimes you need to drive that little further for quality. Thank the lord for the John Lewis Partnership.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Bad Puppy is in town and looking for someone to play with

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 16/01/2009 16:49 by downsouth.

Posted by: Mazza 21 January, 2009 13:21

Woof .... you seem to have all well covered but what about the obvious?? Dog food!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
                                Terms of use               RSS rss feed                Help & FAQs               Website Design