The West Dulwich Forum
Share your thoughts about Dulwich and West Dulwich, SE21

You are here: Forum > The Lounge
Seeking Community Support, walking 100k to raise funds for Parkinson's
Posted by: RuthW 25 March, 2009 17:10

I can't believe I am even contemplating this....but, I have participated in a few charity events in the past 18 months but this one takes the cream. I completed the Flora London Marathon last year in the pouring rain (my first Marathon) representing M.A.C.S (a childrens charity). I went on to represent Bowel Cancer UK in a 1/2 Marathon in the last quarter of last year and this year, I have volunteered my time with the elderly citizens of Lambeth through the Dulwich Helpline.

A friend of mine has asked me if I would join her to walk 100k through the Sahara this November to raise awareness and funds for Parkinson's. Her father has this disease and as it turns out, so does hte father of another friend of mine.

So, the three of us would like to challenge the worlds greatest desert, trekking 100k from the Atlas Mountains to the Heart of Morocco in the sand. This committment would require me to collect 2400 in funds. I don't know if I could make this from just friends and family, so I thought I would put it out there to my community and see who could further sponsor me/my friends. Based on response, I will post a JustGiving link, which collects the funds directly and deposits them into the charities account.

I look forward to receiving your feedback.

The charity link, should you wish to research is www.parkinsons.org.uk

Thanks for reading.
Ruth

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
                                Terms of use               RSS rss feed                Help & FAQs               Website Design