The West Dulwich Forum
Share your thoughts about Dulwich and West Dulwich, SE21

You are here: Forum > The Lounge
(Mis)interpretations on forums
Posted by: Maam 02 April, 2011 23:01

Users sometimes, quite inadvertently, cause offence. Correspondingly, others become offended. Smiley emoticons can be useful but some find them irritating; and - certainly - they are no substitute for intonation, body language, facial expressions and the like.

So what to do?

Re: (Mis)interpretations on forums
Posted by: Major Algy Wymondham 03 April, 2011 00:18

Some people go online so that they can BE offended. It's frightfully tiresome and I wish they'd darn well stop that jolly nonsense. Bores the lot of them. Not a lot one can do except retain one's sense of humour in the face of adversity.

Major A. Wymondham

Posted by: Maam 03 April, 2011 00:39

> Some people go online so that they can BE
> offended.

Good grief! But WHY?

No matter, I love your name. Is there a MRS. Major Algy Wotsit?

Posted by: Major Algy Wymondham 03 April, 2011 01:19

It's a very good question, Maam. I have no idea why, it takes all sorts, one imagines.

Sadly, my beloved Constance is no longer with us. But I do have my eye on Daphne, now and then ;-)

( I added that vulgar 'emoticon' in the interests of staying on topic, you'll understand).

Major A Wymondham

Posted by: Maam 03 April, 2011 02:05

Sorry to hear about old Constance. Didn't think she would actually run off with the Lieutenant Colonel: old enough to be her father. Quite a scandal if I may say so.

Daphne eh?

Posted by: Aslan 03 April, 2011 06:10

Maam, your last post highlights the very point you were trying to make. The Major states clearly, in my opinion, that his beloved Constance is 'no longer with us'. I understand just one thing from that. What do you think it means? Gone abroad? Moved out? On holiday? Dead maybe? Hardly that she has run off with the Lieutenant Colonel! Whilst there are Forums there will be misinterpretations.

PS How do you know the LC?

Posted by: Maam 03 April, 2011 10:17

I agree, it had occurred that dear old Constance might have snuffed it. Only yesterday's Daily Mail contains an article on the whole affair. Guardian reader are you?

PS: I have no acquaintance with the LC at all. Though the Major...

Posted by: Major Algy Wymondham 03 April, 2011 11:48

Harrumph. Guardian readers.

Posted by: Maam 03 April, 2011 16:39

Telegraph reader Major?

Posted by: Major Algy Wymondham 03 April, 2011 21:32

Private Eye for news these days Maam.

Posted by: Maam 03 April, 2011 22:29

Old hat for me I'm afraid. Need to keep up with the the times Major (as opposed to The Times): Daily Mash.

Posted by: Aslan 04 April, 2011 04:39

I think the TV keeps me up to date with all I need to know:

http://www.theonion.com/video/cases-of-shaken-manchild-syndrome-on-the-rise,19783/

Once the adverts are over.

Posted by: Maam 04 April, 2011 11:43

Blimey Aslan...

Is that for real?:-S

Posted by: Aslan 04 April, 2011 11:58

I think you would have to define what you think is 'real' Maam.

Posted by: Maam 04 April, 2011 13:50

I meant as in "genuine" or "truthful" - as opposed, to say, a spoof or satirical humour for example. You know: a good old piss-take (though of what, I'm not sure). I often fall for such things :-$ coz me is a bit dim innit.

Posted by: Aslan 05 April, 2011 04:40

It never occured to me for one second that it was 'real'...........until I read that you thought it might be!

Posted by: Maam 05 April, 2011 10:43

Oh! :-$

*crawls back to hole*

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
                                Terms of use               RSS rss feed                Help & FAQs               Website Design