The West Dulwich Forum
Share your thoughts about Dulwich and West Dulwich, SE21

You are here: Forum > The Lounge
Campaign to smarten up Rosendale Road parade of shops
Posted by: downsouth 02 November, 2007 12:32

What do you all think? We could maybe apply for some funding (lottery etc...) to get benches, smartened shop fronts. Nice paving etc...

Re: Campaign to smarten up Rosendale Road parade of shops
Posted by: Parkhall76 02 November, 2007 14:33

Absolutely. Your park idea on Vale Street, the Rosendale Road parade and street benches would certainly add to the street amenity. Forgve my ignorance but doesn't more than one council cover the West Dulwich area?

Posted by: downsouth 04 November, 2007 08:12

Yes, Southwark Council up to Croxted Road/Siuth Croxted Road and on the Tesco side its Lambeth Council.

Posted by: LadyDul 06 November, 2007 12:03

I suggest you speak with the Gipsy Hill and Thurlow Park ward (Lambeth) and College ward (Southwark) coucillors (all Conservative I believe)

Posted by: Clare 29 November, 2007 14:47

Yes, we've been trying to get funding to smarten up this bit outside the shops for sometime. Any help and support from local residents welcome. It would really improve the area.

Posted by: downsouth 30 November, 2007 10:39

Clare, what's the best way to go about this? I've heard there are two residents' associations (Rosendale Road Assoc and Martell/Tritton Roads Action Group) it would be good to involve them also.

Posted by: Clare 01 December, 2007 16:08

The Rosendale Residents Association are already pushing for this. What I will do is get an update from the Council and see if work here has been put in the plans for the next financial year. I will post the response up here when I get it. If work is imminent we can sit back, relax and wait for it. If it is not, which I suspect is the case, perhaps between us we can have a renewed campaign. If people would like to email me - cwhelan@lambeth.gov.uk - letting me know they would like to see the area in front of the Idmiston-Eastmearn Rosendale Road shops in the same way has been done for the shops at the Brockwell Park end of the road, I make sure these views are put to the Council. The forecourts immediately in front of the shops belong to the shops and not the Council so obviously the plans will need the support and involvement of the shopowners also.

Posted by: Clare 04 December, 2007 14:32

I have had a message back from Martin Sachs, Head of Transport and Highways at Lambeth saying "I will have this request considered as part of the assessment for the 2008-09 footways programme". I think any views from local residents letting Lambeth know that this scheme would be supported would be welcome.

Posted by: downsouth 04 December, 2007 15:04

Hi Clare thanks for the update. Things that I think would improve the streetscape are, in no particlar order:

- flower beds
- a raised crossing connecting to the other side of the road
- cobbled streets/decorative paving
- benches on either side of the road
- an extended bike rack with better security. I am often put off leaving my bike outside the shops due to the shop keepers cautioniing against it.
- an area for small events/stalls to be located i.e. existing cheese and coffee carts or awareness raising

Are these items part of the Footways programme? Also do you have contact details for the Rosendale Residents Association?

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2007 15:25 by downsouth.

Posted by: LadyDul 04 December, 2007 17:38

I think a bench or two would be good. Some tasteful street art (perhaps by a local sculptor?) would be quite nice.

Posted by: dulwichmum 08 December, 2007 11:47

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 19/12/2007 21:52 by dulwichmum.

Posted by: Clare 08 December, 2007 18:58

I will ask the chair of the Rosendale Road residents' association if I can post an email address for him here - I don't like to do so without his permission. In the meantime, I am happy to pass on any messages to him. There are some interesting ideas above, which I will in any case send him.
Clare

Posted by: SoCrox 10 December, 2007 08:23

DulwichMum - whilst I do have some sentiment with what you say, I hate to rain on your parade by pointing out that Lambeth actually starts slap bang in the middle of South Croxted and Croxted Road, and alas, if we were to follow your grand scheme of a Lambeth Wall, it might well mean we would lose the delights of the lovely Dulwich Trader. Now that, I could not bear.

Posted by: Parkhall76 10 December, 2007 12:33

Not to mention Porcini. Correct me if I'm wrong but All Saints church (the home of the Lambeth orchestra) and the Rosednale Road allotments are on the Lambeth side too? Should your scheme ever come to fruition you wouldn't be able to enjoy civilised tea and biscuits at the tea rooms on Rosendale Road. You might have to make do with a polysyrene cup of tea and a doughnut from the bakery, safely inside the demilitarised zone.

Posted by: SoCrox 10 December, 2007 13:00

perhaps we could agree that the Dulwich Bakery is given honourary Lambeth resident status?

Posted by: dulwichmum 16 December, 2007 09:21

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/12/2007 21:53 by dulwichmum.

Posted by: downsouth 17 December, 2007 11:17

Please stick to the topic.

Posted by: SoCrox 18 December, 2007 09:09

DulwichMum - I agree, the sign of the Dulwich Bakery is a redeeming feature. I will have to take your word for its produce, as I have never actually seen it open.

Posted by: downsouth 18 December, 2007 10:39

Lounged.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
                                Terms of use               RSS rss feed                Help & FAQs               Website Design